The Open Umbrella Collective is a pro-choice Asheville-based organization that provides free services to individuals across the spectrum of pregnancy. It was founded by pro-choice doulas and reproductive justice activists. The Project is a volunteer led and run organization that trains and manages its own doula base. Currently, we are focusing on providing volunteer doula care for people seeking abortions at Asheville’s only abortion provider, Femcare. You do not have to have prior doula training to be an abortion doula with us, we will provide abortion doula training.
We are a volunteer-based organization located in Asheville, NC.
We believe each person’s unique pregnancy experience should be respected and supported. Our work as doulas fosters a culture that values individuals, families, and the strength we find in community; by identifying as full spectrum doulas, we offer support regardless of the pregnancy outcome. We believe the pregnant person is the expert in their own process.
Our values are based on wanting the following things for all pregnant people:
- Access to support, fabulous health care and reliable information
- Trust in their decisions and the ability to carry out these decisions in a safe environment
- The honoring of experiences and memories of those experiences.
- Privacy and confidentiality
We also value respect, protection and privacy of clinics, hospitals, organizations, and individuals who work with pregnant people.
- Free abortion and post abortion doula services
- Sliding scale birth and postpartum doula services (no one turned away for lack of funds)
- Access to accurate and reliable information regarding family planning, reproductive health, birth, miscarriage, stillbirth, fetal anomaly, postpartum, abortion and post abortion.
Please contact us for more info regarding any of the above services! We are happy to speak with you about your situation.